Year 4 - notre-dame de paris
Notre-Dame de Paris (meaning "Our Lady of Paris"), also known as Notre-Dame Cathedral or simply Notre-Dame, is a medieval Catholic cathedral on the Île de la Cité in the fourth borough of Paris, France. The cathedral is widely considered to be one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture. It is famous for it’s flying buttress, the enormous and colourful rose windows, and the naturalism of its sculptural decoration all set it apart from earlier Romanesque architecture.
The cathedral was begun in 1160 and largely completed by 1260, though it was changed frequently in the following centuries. In the 1790s, Notre-Dame suffered desecration during the French Revolution when much of its religious imagery was damaged or destroyed. Soon after the publication of Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame in 1831, popular interest in the building revived. A major restoration project supervised by Eugène Viollet-le-Duc began in 1845 and continued for twenty-five years. Beginning in 1963, the facade of the Cathedral was cleaned of centuries of soot and grime, returning it to its original colour. Another campaign of cleaning and restoration was carried out from 1991-2000.
Different places, Similar lives
People lead different lives. Even people in the same country, the same town or the same street can have different lifestyles. But they can have things in common, too – they can both like the same food or football team! We are going to find out about things that make us different and things that make us the same.
In Society, we’ll be finding out:
- About ways of life in different countries
- About festivals and celebrations in other countries
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
- What different countries are like
- How the climate affects the way people live
- Where our food comes from
- What people grow and eat in different countries
- What products we make in our host country
In International, we’ll be finding out:
- About the difference between rich and poor countries
- Why people around the world have different lives
- What is being done to help the least developed countries